Thursday, June 12, 2008

Baby Bats


Yesterday as my grand daughter and great grand daughter headed out to the chicken house to turn the chickens out for the day ----We came upon a round ball of fur lying on the ground under the Hickory Nut Tree. We had no idea what it was. I took a small twig and turned it over, what a great surprise the little thing unfurled like a flower and revealed itself. She was alive with three babies clinging to her breast, it was a mother bat with three babies. I took the twig and put her in the Iris bed , later I looked and she was hanging upside down on a small plant in her wrapped position. I am not sure what kind of bat she is ---She had a wing span about 6 or 8 inches I will put the picture on to share. This morning she was gone I am sure she flew away in the night.
Aunt Maria

1 comment:

Tina said...

Aunt Maria, Loved the baby bats!
Ashley N.