Wednesday, November 5, 2008

LAST OF THE GARDEN.

This is Dixie Relish or some might call it Chow Chow---which ever it is delicious with beans and meat. I always make this if we have green tomatoes and green or red peppers in the garden at the end of the season. It also takes cabbage and onions. I grind, sprinkle with salt ,mix well and let it sit for a couple of hours. Use a collinder to drain and press as it is draining to get all the liquid out .Pour out the liquid. Season the relish with 5% apple cider vinegar, took over a gallon for this batch.Sugar to taste , celery seeds, mustard seeds and turamic , cook until it changes color---Put in hot sterlized jars and seal. Does not have to be hot water bathed.
If you like it hot put in hot peppers when grinding
the mixture.Try some .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I've ever tried this before? I guess I'll have to when we come visit at Christmas! Hope you're doing well! Love ya!