Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Nannie's Black Dress

Hello everyone, I am glad to be back. My title today is one from a series of photographs taken in 2010. This picture is of me holding my beautiful white Silkies. They are such great chickens --rather shy but can be floggers to small children.
I started out four years ago with four now I have none.

The terrible thing is weasels and other critters of the dark nights come creeping in and steal them away. The weasel came and dug under the door one night and It looked like the Tasmanian Devil had been in that room where he was tearing their silk feathers out. He caught one and almost killed the other one. He had very few silk feathers left and his head was a mess. He hardly had one eye left. He killed one and [this is bad] a weasel eats the head off and gets only the blood [I told you it was bad]

Two nights ago something, probably a raccoon came and got the last one. I am sad the last one was the one I had to nurse back to health and he was so traumatized by the killing and attack ---that he stayed on top of a box under the hen's nest for 6 months and each day I fed and watered him there. He finally came out of the chicken house. When I fed the other chickens he followed me and I had a special place where I fed him and didn't let any other chickens get his food.

Silkies can't fly up to roost because of the silk feathers---So mine stayed on the top of a box or on the ground.

Love Aunt Maria{marie]

1 comment:

jRee said...

I love your stories !!! this one is sad ...but I could just see the little fellow standing on that box...are you going to get more of these ???