Saturday, September 19, 2009

Champion Hen


I love chickens as you know by now. I found a news paper clipping from around 1930.
I want to share it with you all.

Overwork Kills
Champion Hen
Cudworth, England
World Titlist Jennifer---the hen that laid 10 eggs in less than an hour---was dead today from overwork.
The pink-eyed prolific chicken hadn't produced for Farmer Charlie Rogers for days. But he brought her into his home in front of the fire on Monday and Jennifer let loose---a jackpot of 10.
"Jenny spent Monday night in her cardboard box and I tried to make her eat,"
Roger's daughter explained. "But the laying effort had been too much for her."
Neither Jenny nor her 10 eggs will provide a single morsel on any dining table, despite Britain's food shortages.
"I've asked a taxidermist to set Jenny up in a glass case with those 10 eggs,"
Rogers said.

No comments: