Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A NEW LIFE.


I am going to get personal today and I may write about this every now and then. My husband has DEMENTIA. The word ALZHIEMERS and DEMENTIA!!! These are words we don't even want to talk about. It is a reality in our life here in my house now.
"Old Farmer Man", my husband has dementia. WE laugh, this is what you have to do.Today when he got up he--asked me where are the girls? Well our girls are all grown and do not live here. I told him we are the only ones here. Then he wants to know where is Dorthy? That is his deceased sister. Then he asked where is Mezzie? Mezzie is my name and my greatgrand daughter's name. I told him Mezzie is with her mother. Then he wants to know where is Messie my wife? I looked at him and told him to look at me---I am your wife. He looks at me. He laughs and says," I must be crazy''.
I tell him he is not crazy just a little mixed up today. He tells me he is glad to know all the things I have been telling him and that I live here here too.
I don't know if he could have had a little mini stroke in his sleep, but he looks fine. He has had a lot of mini strokes the dr says in the past I give him his meds every day and he wears the Exelon patch to help his memory. I will talk about this again I am sure.
He loves this quilt I bought for him at a yard sale for $3.00.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I sit here and cry after reading this post, I remember again what an amazing couple you two are! You are such a wonderful woman in so many ways! I'm glad that some days are noted to be "good days." I love you both and can't wait to come visit this Christmas! Love you!